WE CALL TO THE ATTENTION OF EVERY MEMBER OF THE THOUSAND OAKS CITY COUNCIL:
You are hereby notified that WE, the undersigned, INSIST that you adhere to the wishes of the
MAJORITY of Newbury Park HOMEOWNERS AND RESIDENTS who are directly affected
by the current proposed LAND USE MAP. We CALL ON YOU to support and defend the rights of the
citizens of Newbury Park who VOTED you into office as servants of the People.
We INSIST on the REMOVAL of the 36 ACRE “BORCHARD PROPERTY”
from any changes on the current LAND USE MAP before it is submitted in its final form
and REQUIRE THAT YOU REINSTATE IT TO ITS ORIGINAL DESIGNATION OF R-1-8
for the following reasons:
- The current property owner is constitutionally entitled to NOTHING MORE THAN WHAT WAS PURCHASED, which is an R-1-8 designation. NOT ONE PLAN has EVER been submitted to the
City of Thousand Oaks in ANY FORM by the property owner.
- Should the property owner choose, in the future, to submit a plan that can be studied; the City can REVIEW, STUDY for IMPACT and can AMEND the General Plan.
The consequences of PREMATURELY agreeing to such an increase in the density of this ALREADY CONGESTED AREA would be immeasurable.
- NEWLY PASSED STATE LAWS (SB9, SB10, SB6 and AB2011) will PREVENT the City of TO from deciding what CAN and CANNOT be built on the property if the designation is changed to the EXTREMEMLY DENSE classification of MIXED-USE LOW. State Rules will trump City rules.
- The City is OBLIGATED and has a DUTY to retain its MOST LEGALLY DEFENSIBLE POSITION AGAINST THE OVERREACH OF THE STATE. (Currently happening in the City of Santa Monica)
- NO OTHER property being changed to MIXED USE was previously designated RESIDENTIAL. The RIGHTS of surrounding residents is being infringed and our property values would plummet by placing a MINI-CITY in the middle of our RESIDENTIAL neighborhood.
- YOU promised the General Plan update would Retain the character of residential neighborhoods.
- This property was not included in the RHNA # and is NOT NEEDED to meet the 2022 Housing Element.
- Not ONE CITY COUNCIL MEMBER LIVES in the area of Newbury Park! You cannot vote to change the quality of our lives/neighborhoods when YOU will not be impacted.
- There is NO UNDOING THE DAMAGE. If changed, SB330 will prohibit any future down zoning of the parcel. City planners will be AT THE MERCY OF THE STATE and the DEVELOPER will force their SINGLAR VISION on the entire community.
- This parcel is a HIGH-RISK FEMA FLOOD ZONE, and NO CHANGES should be made PRIOR TO a site-specific plan and IMPACT STUDIES.
- The change to Mixed-use of the AMGEN, CV High School and Kohls parcels will cause GRIDLOCK on the Borchard overpass and surrounding streets. You CANNOT in good conscience follow through with ALL of these proposed changes within ONE SQUARE MILE without ANY IMPACT STUDIES FOR TRAFFIC AND SAFETY.
WE LIVE HERE AND DEMAND THAT YOU FOLLOW OUR WISHES FOR OUR COMMUNITY.ERE